Friday, December 4, 2009

The Benefits of Honeybee Products


So what’s all the buzz about? Well, for those of you who are strict vegans, eating anything that comes from a living creature is off limits, including honeybee products.
I considered myself “vegan” until I learned that honeybee products are some of the most nutrient-dense foods we can consume.

I am not a big supplement person so obtaining my nutrients from food is the best way. After snacking on a few honeybee products, I found that my energy and stamina definitely improved. I did a little research, and I found that these honeybee products are some of the most nutritious foods on the planet! These bee products include: honey, bee pollen, royal jelly and propolis.

Honey is an antiseptic with cleansing properties. It aids in tissue repair, reduces scar tissue and inflammation. It is a delicious and nutritious sweetener added to tea, recipes and eaten alone.

Royal jelly is a honey bee secretion use in the nutrition of the larvae. It contains B vitamins, water, protein, simple sugars, high amount of fatty acids, trace minerals and enzymes. It is also used as an antibacterial and antibiotic agent.

Bee pollen contains all the nutrients needed for survival. It has a high concentration of B vitamins as well vitamins A,C,D and E. It is great for men and women’s health regarding reproduction. Hippocrates claimed bee pollen to be the secret against old age.

Propolis is the resin used to seal open places in the hive. Natural health professionals use propolis for the relief of various conditions, including inflammation, viral diseases, ulcers, superficial burns or scalds. Propolis can be ingested, applied topically or used for many other purposes.

These honeybee products are so nutrient dense and easy to consume. Just place a couple teaspoons of honey, royal jelly, bee pollen or propolis in your smoothie, almond milk, or just eat it alone. It is an easy way to ensure your body is getting vital nutrients that it may be lacking. You will notice that you are not as hungry because your body is getting what it needs.

Obtaining these bee products is not an easy task. I admire people in this profession, and I have heard most of them have such a great respect for the bees and how they provide us with this miracle food. Becoming familiar with a local apiary or bee yard is great way to ensure that you are obtaining high quality products and also supporting local farmers.

So whether or not you consider yourself a “vegan,” adding these honeybee products to your diet will provide your body with an ample supply of nutrients and you will feel healthier and happier.

3 comments:

cocomacaroons said...

Thankyou so much for this info. i really would like to know what Bee products (company) that you would suggest to buy from. I like to get the very best!! thanks again. xoxomarlayna

Andrea said...

HI Marlayna! I would suggest buying as local as possible. Whole Foods Market may carry a local honey and other natural markets too. You can also try Y.X Organic Bee Farms for Fresh Bee Pollen. And Wee Bee Honey Naturally Raw is a delicious unfiltered honey I love.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. I love raw honey. I use it so often that I buy it bulk, but for medicinal purposes, I use only local honey. Local honey is the very best because it will help your body be less allergic to the local pollens. I once had infection in my toe and put honey on it with a band aide. The next morning it was completely healed! I've done that more than once now with honey and it takes the infection out every time! Honey is also great for burns. :)